Thursday, March 10, 2011

Silly Seussy Stories with the (somewhat scary) Cat in the Hat

I met my first celebrity last week, and it quite an event. Last Wednesday was Dr. Seuss' birthday, and to celebrate, the library had a Silly Seussy Stories Wee Read, and guess who was there, in the flesh...The Cat in the Hat! I was so excited all morning! Mom and I talked about him extensively; we talked about how he is super tall (like a giraffe, I added) but very nice. Mom told me that he couldn't wait to meet me and that I should sing him the "Here we go, go, go, go on an adventure" song from the Cat in the Hat show, which I sing every time we get into the car; we also decided that he is not scary at all. I was beyond thrilled, and I even insisted on bringing my "Sam I Am" Dr. Seuss bag to show him; then I sang the "Here we go, go, go, go" song all the way to the library. I was even excited while waiting in line with Parker and Grayson. In theory, this was going to be an awesome adventure that would go very smoothly; in practice, not so much. As soon as he was in my view, I lost it. I clung to Mom as I refused to leave her lap or even look at him. The idea of him was great, but looking at a big, tall, scary Cat in the Hat right in front of you is not great! Just take my word for it. I even cried for a moment or two; yes, I was the only kid in the room who cried, but as Grandma explained, I was the only kid in the room smart enough to know that this whole situation was kind of creepy. Once the program began and the Cat started the activities, I immediately got up and joined in; no matter how crazy the situation, I am not one to miss out on a good time. We read some Dr. Seuss stories; played a game with our red fish and our blue fish; sang some songs, including "Happy Birthday" to Dr. Seuss; did a little Dr. Seuss Hokey Pokey, at which I am getting pretty good; and watched a puppet show, about which I was most excited. By the end of the program, I was still a little unsure, but after watching the other kids and waiting for almost everyone to leave the room, I finally consented to get my picture taken with the Cat in the Hat, as long as he didn't touch me. Mom and Mrs. Andrea, the regular storyteller, were very proud of me; plus, I had to have some proof that I actually met a celebrity. After the wee read, Mom and I checked out the very last Dr. Seuss book in the whole library, and I, of course, now know exactly where to go and how to check out a book all by myself. I even carry my own library bag and scan my library card. The entire way to lunch, I kept telling Mom, "I see Cat in Hat; I shy, but I take picture with him because I brave", and everyone better recognize! After leaving, Mom and I met Mrs. Teri for lunch, and she was proud of my courage as well. I'm ready for my next celebrity sighting!


So, since I faced my fears like a big girl and met the Cat in the Hat, I have decided to take it a step further and start using the potty consistently like a big girl. Mark this date, the week of March 7th, for this is the week when my life changed forever, and for those of you keeping track, I am about a week shy of 2 years and 5 months old. Since Monday, and it is now Thursday, I have only had three actual accidents; although, I did take a small step backwards at Tyler's house yesterday because there were just too many distractions. Mom is also willing to take the blame for one of those three accidents since she didn't get me to the bathroom quickly enough in the grocery store. To make up for the few accidents, I did pee about 4 times in the matter of 20 minutes when I stayed at Lucas' house for a few hours the other day; I think Lucas was pretty impressed with my new skills. Plus, I made him use the potty every time I did; I'm pretty sure he was all peed out by the time I left. Now, Mom was totally against putting the potty in front of the TV, but alas, you gotta do what you gotta do, and the potty has remained in front of the TV all week. I do, however, like to read on the potty as well. I am very proud of my big girl ways; whenever I pee, I immediatley stand up and enthusiastically yell, "Ta-da" before I force someone to look at my accomplishment. My main motivation though is the potty prize box; that's right, people, I get a prize for peeing! Again, Mom is taken the route of whatever works at this point. I, of course, typically choose a Reese's peanut butter cup, but I have also almost cleaned the entire prize box out of cars. Now, we are having one issue with the potty progression, and I won't go into detail, but as soon as I can get over my one specific potty fear, I will officially be a big girl.

No comments: