Sunday, April 18, 2010

18-Month Me!

Last Tuesday was my 18-month half birthday! I cannot believe that I am already a year and a half! Well,actually, I can believe it; it's Mom and Dad who are having a hard time figuring out where the last year and half went. Last Monday, Mom decided to set up a little photo shoot at home and take my 18-month pictures herself. It must be a sign of the economic times. This was her first attempt, so we will forgive the off-lighting, unfocused nature of some of them, especially the rocking horse and bike shots. I wasn't exactly the easiest subject either - definitely the cutest but not the most willing. I would only allow her to get a couple of shots before running away. When it came to the bench pictures, I added my own creative insight by insisting that Pooh and baby join me in the shots. By the time we got to the flower pictures, Mom had to bribe me with chocolate to get me to sit still. She would actually throw chocolate to me if I would sit down. I do think it was a bit degrading, like being treated as a trained animal, but I'll do whatever I have to for chocolate. There is no shame in a true chocolate lover's game. All in all, Mom got some cute pictures, and I got to demonstrate some classic Liv attitude.

* Make sure to press on "View All Images" if you want to see the pictures more clearly.


From Mom's Point of View:
I truly cannot believe that Olivia is already a year and a half. When people say that time flies once you have children, it is an understatement. She is such a beautiful and smart little girl, and it makes us so proud that she is ours. Today was her 18-month checkup. We put it off a week since we knew last week and this past weekend were going to be so busy, and I didn't want her to feel cruddy from shots during all of our fun-filled days. The doctor's appointment went pretty much as expected. She had a great time playing with two little girls in the waiting room. The three of them laughed hysterically while playing Peek-A-Boo through the window of the movie room and climbing up the movie stadium seating. However, as soon as the nurse came and got us and we started walking towards the exam room, she started frantically saying, "Bye-bye" while trying to walk in the other direction. She's no dummy, and she definitely knows what's up now. The nurse and doctor didn't even have to touch her but just look at her, and she would start crying uncontrollably. The doctor confirmed that we have indeed started what is called the 'terrible twos', complete with the "my way or the highway" & "I can do everything by myself" mindset; Liv is definitely one stubborn and opinionated little girl, but we wouldn't want it any other way. During the entire appointment, she clung to me with every bit of her strength. The nurse could barely measure and weigh her. In true Liv fashion, she still managed to make everyone smile even during the tantrum, for she continually blew them kisses and said, "Bye-bye" in the hopes of convincing me, and I think them, that it was time to leave. She also kept trying to put her shoes back on - so. I brought a snack cup full of chocolate Teddy Grahams in hopes of diverting her attention; however, she just shoved Teddy Grahams in her moth between sobs. The doctor was very impressed with her verbal skills, and she is well above average in that department. She has also met all of the developmental milestones for her age group with no problem. At 18 months, Olivia is 2 feet, 9 inches tall, which again places her in the 85th percentile for height. Her head circumference 18.25 inches, which places her in the 44th percentile, the same percentile as at her 15 month checkup. Her weight, however, has dropped slightly from the last checkup, and she currently weighs 22 lbs. and 7 oz., which places her in the 22nd percentile for weight. The doctor was not overly concerned with her drop in weight since she is growing consistently in height and head circumference. That being said, he does want me to add Carnation Instant Breakfast to her milk once or twice a day for extra calories, and he wants me to try and get her to eat higher calorie foods. Problem is Olivia doesn't really like to eat in general; she is full of energy and likes to go, go, go. I guess we just have a tall, skinny girl. I immediately bought some Carnation Instant Breakfast, at which she turned her nose; perhaps I should just start dipping everything in chocolate because goodness knows she won't turn down choc, as she calls it. Everything else checked out perfectly; although, she was not happy at all when the nurse gave her the two shots. We have a healthy, energetic, opinionated, precious, sneaky 18-month-old Livie on our hands. We cannot even imagine life without her, for it feels like she has always been part of us. Happy half birthday, Olivia! We love you more and more with each new day.

No comments: